Question on eqipment for kneeling lane

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Re: Question on eqipment for kneeling lane

Postby Leo Duran » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:34 pm

FireMarshal wrote:Leo,

I can't believe that you really want a picture of my butt(LOL), but the picture of Charles is somewhere near want I am talking about. I wouldn't require anything near 4". That would probably make it even more unstable. Actually I have tried about 2" and it really does help. Maybe even 1". I do appreciate the response and would like the BOG to consider this for next year. My hip replacement does not seem to be a problem as much as my knee and the inability to bend it due to the wear and tear over the years. Some times I can actually get within a 1/2", but cannot put any more weight or pressure on the knee at that point which makes it even more unstable than trying it off-hand. I doubt that I am the only one that has a problem with this.

Thanks for the consideration and thank you Bob for the picture,

Pat

Hi Pat,
LOL... Actually, the "pad for the butt" topic was brought at our recent National Meeting (by John Knapp, as I recall).
So the BoG has a pending action item to consider that, along with a few other topics that were discussed.

Thanks,
Leo Duran
Leo Duran
BoG

Postby FireMarshal » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:52 am

Leo,
I want to thank you for trying to give me an answer to my question. Bob kinda answered it for me. The picture of Charles is exactly what I have been talking about. I tried a kneeling pad that I purchased from Lowes a while back. I tried it last week and it worked fine. I think it is about 2 or 3" high. I haven't been able to put a picture on the forum yet. I just placed it on top of my heel and it gave me the support needed to be stable while shooting. I agree with Bob that what we would need is a maximum height limit. This one is kind of hollow inside, but probably only 2" of actual padding thickness. The rule that he talks about seems to only be in the Hunter class rules, but could be extended to all classes.
Many thanks for all that you try to do,
Pat
FireMarshal

Postby Scotchmo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:15 am

I want to thank you for trying to give me an answer to my question. Bob kinda answered it for me. The picture of Charles is exactly what I have been talking about. I tried a kneeling pad that I purchased from Lowes a while back. I tried it last week and it worked fine. I think it is about 2 or 3" high. I haven't been able to put a picture on the forum yet. I just placed it on top of my heel and it gave me the support needed to be stable while shooting. I agree with Bob that what we would need is a maximum height limit. This one is kind of hollow inside, but probably only 2" of actual padding thickness. The rule that he talks about seems to only be in the Hunter class rules, but could be extended to all classes.
Pat

I got a memo yesterday. It seemed to pertain to what you asked:

Collected from Minutes of 2017 AAFTA National Meeting

RESOLUTION on BoG ACTION ITEMS - Dec 10, 2017
PROPOSAL FROM FLOOR: Allow 3" pad between butt and heel on kneeling shots for comfort. ACTION TAKEN: BOG to review and report.
[Response] BoG considered but decided against it (6 out 6 votes).

The above ruling by the BOG was about the 3" pad.

AAFTA Handbook - other info on the use of pads:

Hunter Division - "Knee pads or other forms of padding or risers placed between the arm, thigh, knee, leg and/or rifle may not exceed 2 inches in thickness."

Forced Shooting Positions - "Aids such as straps, harnesses, monopods, shooting sticks, or bipods are not allowed on forced position shots."

So the 2" pads appear to be OK in Hunter, but I bet some would view it as stretching the rules when used on a kneeling lane. Shooting jackets are not excluded either, and I view their use as stretching the rules when they are used on designated lanes, but plenty of people do that.
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Postby Leo Duran » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 am

Scotchmo wrote:
Pat

I got a memo yesterday. It seemed to pertain to what you asked:

Collected from Minutes of 2017 AAFTA National Meeting

RESOLUTION on BoG ACTION ITEMS - Dec 10, 2017
PROPOSAL FROM FLOOR: Allow 3" pad between butt and heel on kneeling shots for comfort. ACTION TAKEN: BOG to review and report.
[Response] BoG considered but decided against it (6 out 6 votes).

The above ruling by the BOG was about the 3" pad.

AAFTA Handbook - other info on the use of pads:

Hunter Division - "Knee pads or other forms of padding or risers placed between the arm, thigh, knee, leg and/or rifle may not exceed 2 inches in thickness."

Forced Shooting Positions - "Aids such as straps, harnesses, monopods, shooting sticks, or bipods are not allowed on forced position shots."

So the 2" pads appear to be OK in Hunter, but I bet some would view it as stretching the rules when used on a kneeling lane. Shooting jackets are not excluded either, and I view their use as stretching the rules when they are used on designated lanes, but plenty of people do that.

The "pad on the butt" is not allowed on Forced Position shots.
(On free-position shots you can use whatever is allowed by your Divison rules)
Leo Duran
Leo Duran
BoG

Previous

Return to About AAFTA Rules