Pistol Offhand: Eye-cup is allowed...

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Pistol Offhand: Eye-cup is allowed...

Postby Leo Duran » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:49 am

As of November 8, 2016:
14. Forced Offhand Shots: Pistol is held solely by the hands, and may not contact the arms, body, or any other kind of support. Eye-cup contact with the face is permitted.

http://aafta.org/Assets/handbook/2017/A ... k_2017.pdf
Leo Duran
Leo Duran
BoG

Re: Pistol Offhand: Eye-cup is allowed...

Postby Bob Dye » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:26 pm

I guess those people who wear eyeglasses and cannot physically use an eye-cup will feel forced to buy one, and figure out how to use it (somehow).

Several of the ranges where I shoot require safety glasses. And we all tend to wear eyeglasses as we get older. :geek:

I sometimes wish the AAFTA BoG would walk a mile in EVERYONE's shoes before making these consequential rulings. (To my knowledge, none of the current BoG wear eyeglasses full time)

Disallowing face to scope (eye-cup) support would maintain a level playing field for ALL.

But of course, that would make too much sense. :(
Bob Dye
Club Rep

Postby Leo Duran » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Bob Dye wrote:I guess those people who wear eyeglasses and cannot physically use an eye-cup will feel forced to buy one, and figure out how to use it (somehow).

Several of the ranges where I shoot require safety glasses. And we all tend to wear eyeglasses as we get older. :geek:

I sometimes wish the AAFTA BoG would walk a mile in EVERYONE's shoes before making these consequential rulings. (To my knowledge, none of the current BoG wear eyeglasses full time)

Disallowing face to scope (eye-cup) support would maintain a level playing field for ALL.

But of course, that would make too much sense. :(

This was not disallowed before... So in essence this says: Just as before, the eye-cup may touch your face (or your glasses).

The rule does not say that you must use an eye-cup, or that the eye-cup must touch the face.
To be honest, I don't understand what the problem is... And if there is a problem, how it is a new problem.
Leo Duran
Leo Duran
BoG

Postby Bob Dye » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Leo Duran wrote:The rule does not say that you must use an eye-cup, or that the eye-cup must touch the face.
To be honest, I don't understand what the problem is... And if there is a problem, how it is a new problem.

It is a NEW problem, brought about by the mandated change in the offhand rules posted Oct 17th, that requires a two handed hold (only) in the off-hand lane. Prior to this, some shooters (who knows how many) did not feel it necessary to use an eye-cup with their eyeglasses -- or developed their offhand position specifically because they can't use an eye-cup with glasses. Instead, they used holds that did not require support of the scope via the face... to be competitive. These holds have now been banned, which now creates NEW problems for some shooters (yes - me included)

You cannot convince me that this individual (typical among eye-cup users) does not have his face firmly planted into his eye-cup. Furthermore, (by comparison) no one wearing eyeglasses can remotely accomplish the same rigid support... (i.e., eye wear users are disadvantaged.)

Last edited by Bob Dye on Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Dye
Club Rep

Postby Bob Dye » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:40 pm

Further, this is the third "correction" to this single sentence in the pistol rules in the last FIVE days (Nov.3, Nov.5, Nov.8). It makes one question the thinking process used, when an up-front, comprehensive and complete review of the ramifications of the new 2-hand rule prior to Oct.17 would have prevented the need for all these capricious, frantic, helter skelter corrections.

I can't imagine a proper committee of six making such mistakes... More to the point, I can't imagine three separate conference calls (Nov.2, Nov.4 and Nov.7) in which ALL officers were present make a quorum and cast votes to make these see-saw changes.
Bob Dye
Club Rep

Postby Scotchmo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Bob Dye wrote:
Leo Duran wrote:The rule does not say that you must use an eye-cup, or that the eye-cup must touch the face.

It is a NEW problem, brought about by the mandated change in the offhand rules posted Oct 17th, that requires a two handed hold (only) in the off-hand lane. Prior to this, some shooters (who knows how many) did not feel it necessary to use an eye-cup with their eyeglasses -- or developed their offhand position specifically because they can't use an eye-cup with glasses. Instead, they used holds that did not require support of the scope via the face... to be competitive. These holds have now been banned, which now creates NEW problems for some shooters (yes - me included)

You cannot convince me that this individual (typical among eye-cup users) does not have his face firmly planted into his eye-cup. Furthermore, (by comparison) no one wearing eyeglasses can remotely accomplish the same rigid support... (i.e., eye wear users are disadvantaged.)

I call those "eye-pods" :D .
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Return to About AAFTA Rules