Pistol length

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Pistol length

Postby Scotchmo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:12 am

AAFTA has no overall pistol length restrictions. Currently, my pistol/carbine with buttstock removed, and no rear extension, is about 18.5" long overall. Unlimited silhouette pistols, including air pistols, must be under 25" long per IHMSA rules. In the USA, pistols are required to be under 26" overall length, though it does not apply to airguns.

I want to extend the rear shelf of my pistol and add balance weight to the rear.

Example of pistol w/extended rear shelf:

How long can I extend it? I'd like to make it 25" overall length. I don't want to break any unwritten rules. If no one can point out anything wrong with this idea, I'll proceed.
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Re: Pistol length

Postby Bob Dye » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:37 am

I guess it depends on the definition of “Butt Stock.”

Per the rules…
“7. Knee pads, sand bags, knee risers, and butt stocks are not allowed.”

Does your proposed 6-1/2” to 8” extension qualify as a butt stock? The Crosman removable carbine butt stock is only 5” longer.

It will be important to demonstrate that your extended rear shelf does not at any time rest on the top of the hand, the wrist/forearm below, or that the face (cheek) does not rest on the top of the extension. Given your chosen (pretzel style) pistol shooting position, one, or the other, or both will come into question.

Also…
“14. Forced Offhand Shots: Pistol is held solely by the hands, and may not contact the arms, body, or any other kind of support.

You could have asked this question on the Club Rep (Match Director’s) forum, or the "Discussion with the BOG" forum...yet you’ve chosen not to?

Regardless, I recommend that you email the BOG to request a ruling on this before you proceed. Be sure to include the comments above.

Once again, IHMSA rules have absolutely ZERO bearing on AAFTA Field Target. It is pointless to cite such references to make your proposal appear more legitimate. Your desire to build a pistol for both disciplines does not impose any requirements on AAFTA.
Bob Dye
Club Rep

Re: Pistol length

Postby Scotchmo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Bob,

As you recommended, I copied my above post over to the "Discussions with the BOG" sub-forum. Hopefully someone will respond.

"Does your proposed 6-1/2” to 8” extension qualify as a butt stock?"
If it's not shouldered, it's not a butt stock.

"The Crosman removable carbine butt stock is only 5” longer."
7" vs 12" is quite a difference when trying to shoulder a gun.

"14. Forced Offhand Shots: Pistol is held solely by the hands, and may not contact the arms, body, or any other kind of support."
plus "Eye-cup contact with the face is permitted."

"Regardless, I recommend that you email the BOG to request a ruling on this before you proceed. Be sure to include the comments above."
I would prefer to do it on a forum. More people could benefit from the answers as to what is legal within the rules. Public is better than private. Remember the barrel measuring procedures? - I got burned on that one.

"Once again, IHMSA rules have absolutely ZERO bearing on AAFTA Field Target. It is pointless to cite such references to make your proposal appear more legitimate."
I cite those rules because AAFTA rules are somewhat lacking in what constitutes a pistol (handgun?). Maybe IHMSA or NRA rules can be used for guidance in areas where AAFTA has no requirements/restrictions.
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Return to About AAFTA Rules